Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Why I support marriage equality legislation in Minnesota


In my perfect world, the sacrament of marriage would only be defined by churches, synagogues, mosques and other faith communities.  It certainly would not be defined by Republicans, Democrats or any party.  Unfortunately, politicians decided in 1977 to change Minnesota law to define marriage as between one man and one woman.  Now the political battle over the definition of marriage rages again.

In my perfect world, all human beings would be treated equally under the law.  Unfortunately, politicians have tied that equal treatment to the legal definition of marriage over 500 times in Minnesota law alone.  For this reason, it is the legal definition of marriage that determines over 500 individual rights in Minnesota statutes alone.

Obviously, none of us live in our own perfect world.  We live in a world of opposing opinions and conflicting goals.  I, like many of my friends in the Independence Party of Minnesota, am conflicted between a political definition of marriage and protecting the rights of all Minnesotans.  After a lot of research and long consideration, I have decided where I stand as an individual on this issue.

I support legislation to remove language from Minnesota statutes that defines marriage as being between one man and one woman.  I support the legislation presented by Representative Karen Clark and Senator Scott Dibble for two reasons.

My first reason for supporting this legislation is because it doesn't expand the definition of marriage as much as it removes the limitations installed in 1977.  It also adds language that protects religious organizations’ rights to define and recognize marriage as they wish.

My second reason for supporting this legislation is because I support the Independence Party of Minnesota’s core values.  One of those core values is our support for “a society that is inclusive, embraces diversity, and protects everyone’s rights.”  Everyone’s rights are not protected under current Minnesota law.  This legislation removes one of the barriers to equal rights for all.

Please put the rights of every Minnesotan first.  Please join me in supporting every Minnesotan’s individual rights by supporting this important legislation.